Granola Liz

Monday, September 28, 2009

Sally Lunn Bread



Several people asked for this recipe before I had even posted it online! This really is a great recipe, best one for sandwich bread I have ever made! Even toasted great! I will put pictures up later with another post. I thought I'd put this one up now since people seemed eager :)

This is a bread machine recipe. If you do not have a bread machine then you must do all the kneading and resting by hand. There are a few things I have done differently to get a wonderful loaf of bread that I never used to do.

The first is I proof the yeast. Put all the liquids in the bread machine. Add the sugar, add the yeast. Let it be for about 5 to 10 minutes. Then add everything else as you normally would and turn on the machine.

The second is since I don't have bread flour, I add 4 tsp of vital wheat gluten to every loaf (and take out 4 tsp of normal flour).

Because of these two things, I had a wonderful loaf the last several times and last night's was perfect!

This is for a 1.5 pound loaf.

1 egg plus enough water to equal one cup PLUS 2 tablespoons.

1 tsp. salt

1 Tbsp plus 1 tsp of sugar

1/4 cup plus 2 Tbsp of softened butter

3 cups of bread flour

1 tsp of bread machine yeast

Put everything in according to the machine - after proofing your yeast - then put it on a basic/white cycle. Use a medium or light crust setting.

Enjoy!

1 Comments:

Blogger Emily Nielson said...

I LOVE Sally Lunn Bread. I make it on special occasions because we eat it so quickly :D

October 13, 2009 at 8:24 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home